A year ago, to the day, I said that I would do a bunch of stuff in 2017. I did OK, but not great. I could blame it on my old man hip, the surgery, or the recovery time, but mostly not getting stuff on the list done was all me. All my own laziness, stuborness, or my A+ skill level of procrastination. These are the promises I made to myself that I kept:
Take a pottery class
Take a Blacksmithing class at the Pratt
Read 1 book every 2 weeks – minimum
Play my uke, banjo, and guitar with others
Give lots of $$ to Heifer and MFS
Make movies and post: Adventure, craftsmanship, and family.
Ride my skateboard because I am not too old or too fat
Road trip in WA more
Take my wife on vacation
Plant a spring garden
Fix up the front and back yards
The following is what I am committing myself to do in 2018:
- Organize my chaos in the shop and basement.
- Sell, donate, recycle, or throw away shit that I do not use.
- Use my planner and notebooks as tools not as something that I “have” to use.
- Eat my veggies. Seriously. Salads in my future.
- Take my desk at home back and make it a conducive writing space.
- Cut WAY back on sugar and carb intake!
- Lose weight – back to 175! and put on 5-7lbs of muscle
- Go to the gym 3-4 time a week – minimum.
- Box more at the gym and at home
- Write more: Blog posts, REAL letters, Thank you notes, fiction, and non-fiction
- Take more great pictures
- Fly my drones more
- Take at least a 45 minute lunch at least 4 days a week at work
- Show up to yoga at least once a week
- Take another pottery class
- Finish my CJ-7 Jeep restoration
- Look into getting back into the judo dojo
- Sign up and compete in the Gambler 500 car race
- Sign up for a letterpress class at The Pratt
- Take another blacksmithing class at The Pratt
- Read 1 book every 2 weeks!
- Learn how to play the mandolin and banjo better!
- Play my uke, banjo, and guitar with others
- Build a skin-on-frame canoe for two
- Road and mountain bike
- Take the puppies to Lincoln Park for a walk at least once a week
- Ride the living shit out of my Single -Speed
- Bike to work at least 5 times this year (12 miles each way)
- Volunteer more at the Center for Wooden Boats
- Pay off all credit cards
- Go sailing in Puget Sound
- Turn some amazing and useful stuff on my lathe
- Give lots of $$ to Heifer and MFS
- Make at least 1 movie a week for YouTube and post: Adventure and craftsmanship
- Monetize my YouTube account and increase my presence and standing in that community
- Lessen my Twitter and social media activity…
- See my kids and grandchildren more
- Be involved in politics more: financally and with a time commitment
- Work on my Genealogy database and organize all my info.
- Finish the house remodel – even if I have to pay a contractor to do it (…shudder…)
- Finish the garage/shop/GROP build
- Ride my snowboard and skateboard because I am not too old or too fat
- Road trip in WA and on West Coast more
- Have two hives of healthy, happy bees
- Kayak lots!
- See my friends more
- Take my wife on vacation
- Plant a spring garden and have a really bountiful fall harvest
- Have an awesome Griswald-like Christmas light display!
I am printing this list out and pasting copies in my notebook, work planner, in the shop, at my desk at work, on the fridge, and in the basement above my warranty voiding workbench.